Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Jail Bird - an essay on something that brought me pleasure

Jail Bird

Birding, also known as birdwatching, is a hobby in which one studies and observes birds using the naked eye or through binoculars or some other optical means to bring the subject closer into view. A birder, someone who is engaged in this activity, may also take photographs of the birds for further study and to share these images with others. I've been involved in this field for over 20 years. Since that time I've identified more than a few birds --- mainly songbirds, my specialty. Birders maintain a list of birds that they have identified. You see part of the fun of birding is to see how many birds that you're able to properly identify. My bird list is not long exactly, however, it does contain a few rare birds, something that I consider to be a worthy accomplishment.

I'd like to recount one of my most pleasurable outings where I went to look at birds. I got out my 7x35 binoculars and then walked down to the Craven Nature Trail which is located on the Tishomingo National Wildlife Refuge. The time of this event was at least 10 years ago. I walked down the trail a ways to find a thicket alongside the trail. This looked like a good place to observe birds so I sat down there to wait for some birds to come by. After at least 15 minutes birds starting showing up. In since I was so still and quiet, the birds did not perceive that I was there. You see birds are very sensitive to noise and motion. Unlike some animals they don't go by scent very much to recognize possible predators. Any sudden nearby motions will almost certainly scare a bird off. For this reason it's best to use a tree, thicket, or brush as a blind. Some birders will even construct a blind out of wood, fabric, or some other suitable material. The refuge that I mentioned above has a wooden bird blind located near some birdfeeders. That is an excellent place in which to observe birds. There are holes in the blind so that you can view the birds without their knowledge. You have to be quiet of course when doing this otherwise you might scare the birds off.

Some of the birds that I saw on the nature trail were birds that I have seen in the past but a few of them were ones that not only had I not seen before I haven't seen them since. These were birds that most people have only seen in a photograph if at all. I don't recall all of the birds that I saw that day but one does stand in my mind after all of those years. It was a warbler a type of small songbird. Warblers, by the way, are all rare in Oklahoma. As a matter of fact, due to shrinking habitats, they are rare all across the United States to one extent to another. Many years ago they were plentiful. Sadly some varieties of warblers are instinct. You really have to look hard if you want to see any at all. They don't eat at backyard feeders to my knowledge so you have to go out in the woods to find them. This particular warbler, the name of which I can't recall at the moment, sported black and white stripes. I termed it the "jail bird" because the stripes reminded of me of prisoners of long ago who wore striped outfits to identify themselves as inmates. Really wish that I had a camera with me that day so I could have taken a photo of it. I'm sure there would be many others who would appreciate seeing this bird. It was truly a wonder of nature.

I'll never forget what I saw that day. When I see something like this, it makes me wonder how anyone could say that God doesn't exist. Clearly a higher power was involved in the creation of such a thing because I can't see how something like this would be created on its own --- something that surely must have been created for man's enjoyment to my way of thinking. I'm hoping that some day I'll get to see some more warblers especially the striped one that I mentioned previously. Next time I go out birding I'll be armed with a camera and some binoculars!

No comments: