Saturday, January 24, 2009

Essay about sorrow - On a Shooting Star

On a Shooting Star

It was sometime in 1998 that I met Katherine (usually called her Kathy). I found her online using the ICQ chat program. She was an accomplished architect. To this day you can see some of the structures that were built using her designs in Durant, Oklahoma. At the time I met her she was 36 years old. I was 29. We really had a lot of good times together. I thought highly of her.

One day I recall --- in the summer I think it was --- her and I looking at a meteorite shower. She brought out her camera to take photographs of the night sky. You see she was also a photographer. We saw several meteorites --- popularly known as "shooting stars" --- that night. I don't think we ever got any good photos of any meteorites but more importantly we had a nice time together.

We generally got along very well and we enjoyed the company of each other. There were basically two topics that might (and did on a few occasions) cause an argument. One was politics and the other was religion. Our political discussions usually did not become heated. Religion was another matter. I recall one day that we were discussing the existence (or lack of) of God. I kept trying to convince her that God was indeed real. Sad to say that this particular argument became way too heated. In response to this argument, like an idiot, I sought the comfort of a woman that I had been speaking to on the Internet --- a woman that years later I regretted in having ever met. Kathy and I, save for one day a few years later, never got back together again. In retrospect, I can't understand why I did what I did. I should have agreed to disagree on this point of contention. I mean after all no one will agree with someone on everything, right? I learned a hard lesson that day. What I learned is that one should not try to force their beliefs on someone else and you always have to keep your anger in check.

I recall a discussion that we had concerning tax reform. I was advocating a national sales tax --- something that I advocate to this very day --- to replace the income tax system. Kathy thought that a flat income tax would be a better choice. I told her that I thought that I was right but that her idea certainly had some merit. About anything was better than the morass that is the U.S. tax code, in my opinion. I mention all of this to show you the kind of conversations that I could have with her. It is indeed rare to find someone you can really talk to and have a fun time with.

One day I got in a bad argument --- an all out verbal fight really --- with the woman I now was with. This argument, like the one mentioned earlier with Kathy, was centered on religion, however this time I was completely justified in my anger. I won't go into the details of that here but suffice it to say that I was extremely troubled about the outcome of it. She told me that she never wanted to see me again. I took her at her word for that.

A day or so after this argument I got a hold of Kathy. A little after contacting her we decided to meet. After I met her we spoke briefly and then we kissed for some length. It was as if I had never parted from her. We then went over to her place to hang out in the pasture. By the end of the day we were both severely sunburned. Despite that we had a nice time together. Later that day I ran into the woman that I spoke of earlier. She begged me to take her back. Again like a fool I did as she asked. Years later I realized that she is a very manipulative person who was really good at playing on a person's emotions. She could make up a good story and her tearfulness was compelling. Sad to say I never saw Kathy again. Before I parted with her I recall her telling me that I was immature. She was totally right about that. Looking back on it now, I can't understand why I ever involved myself with this woman and why I took her back. This makes no sense to me. Fortunately I finally did completely part ways with her (this was in 2007). My emotional health has been much better ever since then. I just wished that I could have spent some more time with Kathy.

A year or so later I heard from Kathy online. She mentioned to me the promise that I made to her to celebrate her next birthday with her at Red Lobster. I really wanted to be with her but I feared what would happen if I did. It is now crystal clear to me that the woman I was with is a very unstable individual. At that time though I was given to fearing from her threats and manipulative actions. It saddens me to say that I missed Kathy's birthday party.

After another year (or thereabouts) had passed by I learned that Kathy had died. You see she was in a bad car accident before I met her. She had internal injuries that she had never fully recovered from. There was a memorial service held for her. I could not bring myself to go to it. In retrospect, it was something that I probably should have gone to. You see I wanted to remember her the way that she was. During the latter years of her life she was involved in volunteer work. I sensed that something had changed about her. My belief is that she may have found the Lord. I certainly hope that she did. Perhaps then I shall meet her again some day? I may have received a sort of answer to these questions because one day I was standing on the back porch of my house when I asked God what became of her. Suddenly I saw a meteorite streak through the sky. Possibly that was His way of saying yes to my questions. In any case, it was a moving experience to me.

No comments: