Friday, January 30, 2009

Essay on a food I like - Sushi Anyone?

Sushi Anyone?

I recall years ago that my dad prepared for us shrimp cocktails. It tasted good but something was not quite right about it. After more than a few bites it occurred to me that perhaps the shrimp was not cooked. The shrimp was purchased at Wal-Mart from the seafood section where they sell uncooked frozen shrimp. I then asked my dad if he had cooked the shrimp. His reply was that he had not. We all had a good laugh about that. This would be my first experience with raw seafood.

Many years later on I went to a sushi bar over in Sherman, Texas. I ordered some tuna, smoked salmon, and salmon roe (eggs). My order included these items but it also came with eel due to some kind of misunderstanding, I guess. I tried everything except the eel first. You see I was kind of hesitant to sample the eel given what I knew about eels (their appearance kind of creeps me out you might say). I finally did taste the eel. It was not bad really and I guess I'd try it again I suppose.

I must admit that the idea of eating raw seafood was something that hampered my desire to try sushi for many years. I'm glad that I overcame that "food prejudice" because to me sushi is fairly tasty. If you haven't tried it yet, I suggest that you do so sometime. Sushi is usually consumed with wasabe and fresh ginger root. Wasabe, which is similar to horseradish, as with ginger, is a great complement to the sushi. My understanding is that the wasabe in many restaurants is actually horseradish that has been dyed green the reason being that real wasabe is expensive.

No comments: