Thursday, January 15, 2009

What kind of personal essayist might you be?

I. The Conversational Element (xxiv-xxv). Would you describe yourself as someone who often feels ambivalent about issues? Are you the kind of person who has lots of doubts? Do you make a habit of examining your doubts?

I usually have a clearly formed opinion on any given issue. As for doubts I do have a few. Probably would be accurate to say that I examine them often.

II. Honesty, Confession, and Privacy (xxv-xxvii). Would you describe yourself as a private person or do you tend to be more of an "open book"?

I'd probably classify myself as being somwhere in between those two extremes. I'm guarded on a few aspects of myself but generally open on most things.

III. The Contractions and Expansions of the Self (xxvii-xxix). How comfortable do you feel about talking about your flaws or things you've done in the past that embarrass you now? Are proud of your knowledge of a particular subject?

I generally am comfortable about talking about my flaws unless it's something of a very personal nature. I tend to be a very introspective person at times. There are a few subjects where I somewhat pride myself on knowing about. If I don't know a particular subject very well I'm quick to point that out because of my high desire not to mislead or misinform someone.

IV. The Role of Contrariety (30-31). How comfortable do you feel expressing an opinion that you know others will disagree with?

Generally speaking I'm comfortable expressing a dissenting opinion if I know that I'm sure of my facts otherwise I tend to remain mainly silent.
V. The Problem of Egotism (31-32). Do you worry that writing about your personal life in detail is a sign of egotism or vanity?

My rule here is that if I strongly believe that something about myself is very interesting I feel largely comfortable writing about that.

VI. Cheek and Irony (32-33). How comfortable do you feel making fun of yourself? How do you feel about mocking other people?

I usually am comfortable being self-deprecating the reason being is that I don't wish to take myself very seriously. As for mocking other peoiple, I generally avoid doing that unless I know I'm on safe ground. I certainly don't want to offend someone.

VII. The Idler Figure (33-35). How do you feel about wasting time? Are you the kind of person who likes to have a strict schedule that you can stick to or do you prefer not to have a schedule at all and let things happen spontaneously?

A mix of both I guess. I wouldn't classify myself as a very structured person. My belief is that too much structure interferes with the creative process.

VIII. The Past, the Local, and the Melancholy (35-37). Do you often find yourself looking back at past experiences and reflecting on how they shaped the person you are today?

As I mentioned earlier, I tend to be fairly introspective the reason being that I'm always trying to improve myself as a person.

IX. Questions of Form and Style (37-41). Would you say you feel more comfortable writing narratives or writing arguments or writing reports? Do you like to read texts that take a straight path from A to B or do you prefer to read texts that meander into unexpected places?

A mix of all of these is what I like generally speaking. One does have to be careful with digressions though as they can confuse the reader at times.

X. Quotation and the Uses of Learning (41-42). Would you describe yourself as someone who is well-read? Do you like to quote others in your own writing? Do you like to write about what others have written?

I'm probably not as well read as I need to be. This is something that I'm working on. I do like to quote others in my writing (usually in a limited way). Sometimes I will write about what others have written but generally speaking I try to create matter that is completely original.

XI. The Personal Essay as Mode of Thinking and Being (42-45). Would you describe yourself as someone who is open to a radical change in your life right now?

Probably not unless there is a very good justification for that. That said I'm usually open to change albeit small changes.

No comments: